It’s exciting to purchase a parcel of virgin land and turn it into the homestead you’ve always dreamt of. However, before you can begin building your home, the ground will require a substantial amount of development, including grading. Here’s an overview of professional land grading processes from start to finish:
- Step 1 – Earthwork. This is the down and dirty of clearing the land. Forested property or land filled with shrubs and grasses may need to be cleared simply to get other excavation and building equipment onto the site. During this stage, we use heavy excavation equipment to remove trees, rocks, and boulders; shift and level dirt, and create a blank canvas for more refined excavation stages.
- Step 2 – Foundation excavation. Once you’ve decided where your home should sit, the ground must be dug out and prepared to be able to hold the weight of your home. Whether your home will have a basement, crawlspace, or slab foundation, proper excavation and ground preparation are essential to keep your foundation from sliding or collapsing.
- Step 3 – Drainage excavation. Water is one of our most precious natural resources, but it can destroy even the most well-built homes when it flows in the wrong places. Our teams are well versed in reviewing topographical maps, assessing local ground conditions, measuring groundwater levels, and working with county and city planners to ensure water drains appropriately on your lot. From simple ditches to well-designed swales, we’ll make sure water drainage is controlled.
- Step 4 – Leveling. Undeveloped land is rough. The wild ground can be pitted from tree stumps and boulders or contain random bumps and dips. Even former pastureland can be treacherous from embedded animal tracks during wet weather. Our crews will help tame the land by creating a level, smooth surface for you and your family to enjoy. Our teams can create rolling meadows, flat living space, and packed areas for driveways and patios based on your vision.
- Step 5 – Topsoil. One of the most rewarding aspects of excavation is bringing in the final ground layers to polish off your fully constructed home. Topsoil and mulch serve as a healthy foundation to support grass, shrubs, trees, and other plant life in your landscaping plan.
When you’re ready to begin preparing your property, choose professional excavators experienced with Oregon lands.
Oregon has limitless potential for beautiful homesites, and our team is passionate about helping families convert their land into amazing properties. We’re a small family business that knows Oregon land and understands the laws and requirements for excavating property for home development. Our team at Excavation Oregon will assess your site and develop a plan for creating all your needs during home construction. Contact us today for more information and a free quote.