Excavating land before building a home or structure is some of the most critical work in new construction. Without proper excavation, a building can quickly become unstable, leading to cracking foundations, drainage problems, or even a complete collapse. Professional excavators clear the land for construction teams; however, their work goes beyond this one duty.
Here’s what you can expect from professional excavation:
- Land clearing. Before new building construction can commence, the property must be cleared of trees, shrubs, rocks, existing structures, abandoned pools, and sometimes even old fuel tanks. A professional excavator will work with your contractor to determine which areas need to be cleared to the ground and where green spaces, trees, or other natural elements should remain as is.
- Stabilizing the ground. Did you know that one cubic yard of soil can weigh 3,000 pounds? Can you imagine how heavy even a small home is? Excavators work with contractors to ensure the ground is strong enough to support the new structure. Sometimes deep foundations need to be carved out of the earth to create concrete support posts, while in other cases, it may be enough to dig out and replace the dirt with soil that has greater stability.
- Creating proper drainage. Above and below ground water can destroy a building’s structure or lead to decades of maintenance issues. Excavators ensure the land’s topography is considered, and leveling, sloping, and drainage systems work together to divert water away from structures and disperse it appropriately.
- Building trenches. Below ground utilities and drainage pipes are all important features of new construction. Excavation crews specialize in building trenches. This work requires a high focus on safety, particularly for trenches exceeding five feet in depth, to avoid collapse, injury, or contact with existing underground utilities.
- Adding roads and driveways. Construction in remote areas with little to no vehicle access is common. Excavators clear the path for roads and driveways along and spread gravel to create accessibility for work crews, equipment, and supplies to get to the building site.
The best place to start on a new building project is to contact the professionals at Excavation Oregon.
If you’re planning to build a new home, barn, or other permanent structure, ensure your project starts off right with a professionally excavated foundation. Our team at Excavation Oregon will assess your site and develop a plan for creating sufficient access roads, clearing brush and trees, and digging your foundation. Contact us today for more information and a free quote.